Columbia: a town of genuine charm wrapped in genuine chaos


My Dear Columbia,

I trust this letter finds you well, or at least as well as one can be while dodging e-bikes and canine “deposits." I have taken my daily stroll through our fair borough and am compelled to report on what I have observed. There is much to discuss, and I shall not spare the rod where it is deserved.

Let's begin with compliments before criticism. It is only polite.

The People: Friendly enough to make one briefly forget the chaos of the streets, at least until one tries to cross them (the streets, that is).

The Shops and Restaurants: Small, independent, and utterly charming, each one a little jewel box of local ambition.

The Atmosphere: A vibrancy that suggests a town quite pleased with itself, and not entirely without reason.

Nature's Gifts: Our waterways, offering a moment of elegance amid the concrete and construction dust.

The Hotel Project: Rising from industrial bones into something, one hopes, worth all the racket.

The Habitat for Humanity Build: A lovely endeavor, and I shall not even attempt sarcasm here. Some things deserve sincerity.

The Trains: Ever rumbling, ever present, a reminder that Columbia remains, at heart, a crossroads.

Our Wee Ones: I have observed toddlers wheeled about in carts, others tethered like small, determined kites straining against the wind. One does wonder—between the speeding cars and the silent, tinted-window menaces gliding past—whether a leash is sufficient armor against modern Columbia's streets. Charming as our town may be, it is not, I fear, designed with pedestrian toddlers in mind.

The McGinness Airport
: Oh, the old McGinness airfield, that vast, weed-choked testament to civic dreaming gone quietly to seed. The council once gazed upon it with visions of grandeur, only to watch those visions dissolve like morning mist. And what remains? Weeds. Did I mention weeds? I feel I must, if only because the borough seems determined to grow them with such enthusiasm and consistency that one might mistake them for the official municipal flower.

Backwards-Parked Cars: A minor eccentricity, charitably filed under "quirky."

Aggressive Drivers: Less charming are those who accelerate toward pedestrians as though auditioning for a demolition derby, or perhaps simply testing whether we scatter like pigeons.

Stop Sign Disregard: Apparently optional, like flossing or returning library books.

Overly Tinted Windows: One cannot even shame a reckless driver with a pointed glare when one cannot locate their eyes.

E-Bikes and E-Scooters: Weaving through traffic, nearly dispatching this humble correspondent on more than one occasion. I do not walk after dark anymore, not from timidity, but from simple arithmetic regarding my odds of survival.

I shall not dwell on the political division about town, except to note that neighbors once united by shared potholes now seem divided by everything else. 

And as for the coming tax hike, one supposes the borough must fund something amid all this construction and quarreling, though I confess a certain weariness at watching my coin purse grow lighter while the weeds grow taller.

Columbia, you remain a town of genuine charm wrapped in genuine chaos—equal parts hometown warmth and hazard course. I love you as one loves a slightly unhinged relative: fondly, warily, and with an emergency contact number close at hand.

Until next we stroll these curious streets together.....

Love,
Cassandra

Popular posts from this blog

Where are you, Columbia? The town is undone and perhaps the problem is us

Columbia's troubled week: Gunfire, grief, and a council in retreat

The e-riders have arrived: largely unannounced and unlicensed (plus a special P.S.!)